Sunday 5 May 2013

STILL STANDING

One of the most exciting things about my home is that it borders the great Mt. Kenya forest, home to hundreds of elephants and millions of indigenous trees. Out of the millions, there is one tree in particular that stands out. Some call it the "Great Oak Tree", we call it "King Muuru".

What is so special about this tree? It is the only one of its kind that is STILL STANDING. It is rumored to be hundreds of years old. My great grandfather spoke of its greatness during his time.

When you first enter that part of the forest, you only see hundreds of tall trees. But when you keep going you'll meet this wooden wall that seems to vanish into the heavens; a real 'Jack and the Bean Stalk' kind of experience. When you step back, you realize the wall is actually part of a tree trunk. So big is this trunk that the locals have carved a room in it (with no detriment to the tree) that can fit 20 people at a go.

Some months ago, I went through an experience that came a close second in my "Life's worst experiences". Although I have been betrayed before, this one struck me the hardest. I used to think that animals are cruel until I met this heartless species called 'Homo Sapien Sapien'. Only they can take a shot gun and blow a hole through your chest (figuratively speaking) and call you two weeks later to find out how you are doing. My friend may have as well thrown me under the bus then after that strapped me on a railway line. The aftermath would be the same.

All betrayals involve: A trusted/loved one, a position of vulnerability/trust, a breach of that trust. Whether it is being cheated on, losing a job, a friend broadcasting your secret or a loved one taking advantage of your weakness, betrayal can be nasty and some people never recover from it.

I was stuck in a moment. But one day I remembered King Muuru. I remembered how I first saw him as a child. He was tall and majestic just like today. I wondered how he had survived years of deforestation, rain storms, elephant trampling and drought. Other trees had gone through the same but didn't make it.

Storms come but it is our reaction towards them that is especially important. Be patient in affliction and CHOOSE to see the bright side. REFUSE to play the victim and CHOOSE to be happy. Instead of dwelling on what happened, LOOK at what you have.

Someday, it will be OVER. This is a SEASON and it shall END. And you will look back and realize that the pain of yesterday made you stronger, wiser and happier. What's IN FRONT of you is different from what's behind you. 

And one day, after the season of deforestation, storms and drought, like the Great Oak Tree, you will find that you are one in a million because you are STILL STANDING.


No comments:

Post a Comment